While the taxpayer might consider the filing of Income Tax returns a hassle, it also carries many advantages, such as the return can act as proof of income and address. It makes the taxpayer eligible for filing government tenders and much more. This article provides the details regarding the income tax filing online process as laid down by the Income Tax Department.
Online Income Tax Return Filing Procedure:
Visit the e-Filing portal of the income tax department.
1. Income tax e-filing login page will be opened. The user needs to enter the ID (i.e., PAN), password, captcha to log in to the account.
2. Click 'e-File', then select 'Income Tax Return' option.
3. A form will open in which PAN details will be auto-populated. User needs to select the assessment year, ITR form number, filing type (i.e. 'Original or Revised Return), submission mode.
4. After filling in the details, click the 'Continue' button.
5. An Online ITR Form will open up where the user needs to fill in the necessary details. (User can save the form by clicking on the 'Save Draft' button to avoid loss of data due to session timeout)
6. Select the verification option from the 'Taxes Paid and Verification' tab, from options available as I would like to e-Verify. I want to e-Verify later within 120 days from the filing date; I don't want to e-Verify and like to send ITR-V signed copy through normal/speed post to "Centralized Processing Center” within 120 days from the date of filing.
7. Next, click on the 'Preview and Submit' option and verify the data entered. Then 'Submit' the ITR.
8. If the other (02) two verification options are selected, the submission process remains incomplete until it is verified, but it will submit ITR.
9. The ITR that is submitted needs to be e-Verified later on for completing the process by going to the 'My Account tab’, then selecting the ‘e-Verify Return’ option, or the signed ITR-V should be sent to CPC (Bengaluru).
10. The EVC/OTP must be entered within sixty seconds; otherwise, the Return (ITR) will be auto-submitted.
11. The submitted ITR should be verified by going to tab 'My Account, selecting the 'e-Verify Return’ option, or sending the signed ITR-V to CPC.
The Income-tax return can be filed through offline mode by downloading the appropriate return from the website, then filling such form offline. After that, save the XML file generated and then upload the same.