According to NICE Classification, Trademark Class 34 is opted to register a trademark for tobacco products, matches and smokers’ articles.
The NICE Classification was established in 1957 by NICE Agreement, and it divides marks into 45 different classes by Goods and Services (Classes 1-34 for Goods and Classes 35-45 for Services). The purpose of these classifications is to allow users to seek trademark goods or services into classes most appropriate to their business.
TM Class 34 includes cigarette and its articles; cutter, tips, filters, holders, tobacco and it’s articles; pouches, pipes, jars, spittoons, matchboxes and holders.
Why Should We Opt For TM Class 34?
You would choose Trademark Class 34 if you were registering any of these types of goods:
- Tobacco (not for medical purposes)
- Smoker's articles
You would not use Trademark Class 34 if you were registering for:
- Cigarettes without tobacco, for medical purposes (Class 5 - Pharmaceuticals)
A related trademark class is one that is related to another class; this is due to the Indian Trademark Office (ITO) has determined that applicants registering within Class 34 may register in these other classes too.
If you are not sure while choosing Class 34 for your product, you also consider the following “Related Classes”: Class 42- Science and Technology Services, Class 35- Advertising and Business Services and Class 4- Industrial Oils.
Trademark Registration fees also vary on bases of the Class system. You must pay a separate registration fee for each class of goods and services that you want to register. For instance, if you are going to register a trademark for Pharmaceuticals in Class 5 and Dental Instruments and Apparatus for Class 10, you should pay two separate fees.
It is necessary to choose the correct class at the time of registering a trademark, if you register a trademark in the wrong class, you must start the registration process from the beginning.
List of All Goods Covered Under TM Class 34
- Matches, match holders, matchboxes, match.
- Ashtrays, ashtrays for smokers.
- Lighters for smokers, firestones, lighters for smokers, gas containers for cigar lighters.
- Articles for use with tobacco, absorbent paper for tobacco pipes, cigar holders, books of cigarette papers, cigar cutters, cigarette filters, cigarette tips, cigarette holders, pocket machines for rolling cigarettes, cigarette paper, pipe cleaners for tobacco pipes, mouthpieces for cigarette holders, pipe racks for tobacco pipes, tips of yellow amber for cigar and cigarette holders, spittoons for tobacco users, tobacco pipes.
- Tobacco and tobacco products (including substitutes), chewing tobacco, cigarettes containing tobacco substitutes, cigarettes, not for medical purposes, cigarillos, cigars, herbs for smoking, electronic cigarettes, snuff, tobacco.
- Tobacco containers and humidors,cigar cases, humidors, cigarette cases, snuff boxes, tobacco jars, tobacco pouches.
- Trademark Classes
- Trademark Class 11: Appliances
- Multi-class Trademark Application
- Trademark Class 21: Household Utensils
- Trademark Class 17: Rubber Products
- Trademark Class 10: Medical Supplies & Instruments
- Trademark Class 5: Pharmaceuticals
- Trademark Class 16: Paper Goods
- Trademark Class 8: Hand Tools
- What is a Class in Trademark Registration?