According to NICE Classification, Trademark Class 42 is opted to register a trademark for services performed by professions such as engineers, chemists, physicists and computer programmers.
The NICE Classification was established in 1957 by NICE Agreement, and it divides marks into 45 different classes by Goods and Services (Classes 1-34 for Goods and Classes 35-45 for Services). The purpose of these classifications is to allow users to seek trademark goods or services into classes most appropriate to their business.
TM Class 42 includes services for scientific and technical mainly those provided by professionals such as engineers, chemists, physicists or programmers. In addition, the services of engineers who undertake estimates, evaluation, research and reports in the technological field as well as scientific research for medical purposes.
Why Should We Opt For TM Class 42?
You would choose Trademark Class 42 if you were registering services:
- rendered by companies exploiting stations, bridges, railroad ferries, etc. used by the transporter.
- services connected with the hiring of transport vehicles.
- Services connected with maritime tugs, unloading, the functioning or ports and docks and the salvaging of wrecked ships and their cargoes.
- services connected with the packaging and parcelling of goods before dispatch.
- services consisting of information about journeys or the transport of goods by brokers and tourist agencies, information relating to tariffs, timetables and methods of transport.
- services related to the inspection of vehicles or goods before transport.
Why you would not use TM Class 42
- business research and evaluations (Class 35)
- computer file management and word processing services (class 35)
- financial and fiscal evaluations (Class 36)
- mining and oil extraction (Class 37)
- computer (hardware) installation and repair services (Class 37)
- service provided by professionals such as veterinary surgeons, medical doctors (Class 44)
- medical treatment services (Class 44)
- garden design (Class 44)
- legal services (Class 45)
A related trademark class is one that is related to another class; this is due to the Indian Trademark Office (ITO) has determined that applicants registering within Class 42 may register in these other classes too.
If you are not sure while choosing Class 42 for your service, you also consider the following “Related Classes”: Class 36- Insurance and Finance Services, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services, Class 38 - Telecommunication Services, Class 40 - Material Treatment Services, Class 37 - Shipping and Travel Services, Class 41 - Education and Entertainment Services, Class 43 - Food Services, Class 39 - Transport and Travel Services, Class 44 - Medical and Vet Services, Class 45 - Legal and Security Services.
Trademark Registration fees also vary on bases of the Class system. You must pay a separate registration fee for each class of goods and services that you want to register. For instance, if you are going to register a trademark for posters in Class 16 and shirts for Class 25, you should pay two separate fees.
It is necessary to choose the correct class at the time of registering a trademark, if you register a trademark in the wrong class, you must start the registration process from the beginning.
List of All Goods Covered Under TM Class 42
- IT services, computer system design, computer system analysis, computer system monitoring by remote access.
- Software development, programming and implementation, maintenance of computer software, installation of computer software, creating and maintaining websites for others, computer software consultancy, updating computer software, computer programming.
- Computer hardware development, consultancy services in design and development of computer hardware.
- Hosting services and software as a service and rental of software, software as a service(SaaS), server hosting, rental of web servers, rental of computer software, hosting computer sites, providing search engines for the Internet.
- Rental of computer hardware and facilities, computer rental service.
- IT consultancy, advisory and information services, IT consulting services.
- IT protection, security and restoration services, computer data recovery, computer virus protection services.
- Data duplication and conversion services, data coding services, duplication of computer programs, digitization of documents, documents scanning, conversion of data or documents from physical to electronic media.
- Science and technology services, water analysis, technical research, scientific research, product research for others, development of new products for others, scientific laboratory services, handwriting analysis, quality evaluation of standing timber, quality evaluation of wool, energy auditing, cosmetic research, consultancy in the field of energy-saving, calibration, construction drafting.
- Medical and pharmacological research services, clinical trials.
- Engineering services, clinical trials.
- Surveying and exploration, underwater exploration, surveying, oil-well testing, oil-field surveys, oil prospecting, land surveying, geological prospecting, geological research, analysis for oil-field exploitation.
- Architectural and urban planning services, urban planning, architecture, architectural consultation.
- Natural science services, physics, chemistry services, chemical analysis, chemical research, biological research, bacteriological research.
- Earth science services, weather forecasting, meteorological information, cloud seeding, provision of scientific information, advice and consultancy in relation to carbon offsetting, research in the field of environmental protection.
- Design services, website design consultancy, styling, design services, packaging design, industrial design, graphic arts, dress designing, the design of interior decor.
- Testing, authentication and quality control, vehicle roadworthiness testing, textile testing, quality control, quality control, material testing, authenticating works of art.
- Trademark Class 9: Computers and Scientific Devices
- Trademark Class 44: Medical and Veterinary Services
- Trademark Classes
- Trademark Class 45: Legal and Security Services
- Multi-class Trademark Application
- Trademark Class 35: Advertising and Business Services
- Service Mark Registration in India
- Trademark Class 37: Construction and Repair Services
- Trademark Class 36: Insurance and Financial Services
- Trademark Class 40: Treatment of Materials Services