According to NICE Classification, Trademark Class 16 is opted to register a trademark for paper, cardboard, books, and similar products.
The NICE Classification was established in 1957 by NICE Agreement, and it divides marks into 45 different classes by Goods and Services (Classes 1-34 for Goods and Classes 35-45 for Services). The purpose of these classifications is to allow users to seek to trademark a goods or services into classes most appropriate to their business.
TM Class 16 includes paper, cardboard, books and goods made from these materials.
Why Should We Opt For TM Class 16?
You would choose Trademark Class 16 if you were registering for:
- Paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials, not included in other classes
- Printed matter; bookbinding material; photographs; stationery
- Adhesives for stationery or household purposes
- Artists' materials; paint brushes
- Typewriters and office requisites (except furniture)
- Instructional and teaching material (except apparatus)
- Plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes); printers' type; printing blocks
You would not use Trademark Class 16 if you were registering for:
- Colours (Class 2 - Paints)
- Hand tools for artists (for example, spatulas, sculptors' chisels) (Class 8 - Hand Tools)
A related trademark class is one that is related to another class; this is due to the Indian Trademark Office (ITO) has determined that applicants registering within Class 16 may register in these other classes too.
If you are not sure while choosing Class 16 for your product, you also consider the following “Related Classes”: Class 9- Computers and Scientific Devices, Class 41- Education and Entertainment Services, Class 35- Advertising and Business Services and Class 42- Science and Technology Services.
Example of Class 16 includes BROWN PAPER BAG under Class 16, Class 43 and Class 41.
Trademark Registration fees also vary on bases of the Class system. You must pay a separate registration fee for each class of goods and services that you want to register. For instance, if you are going to register a trademark for Chemicals in Class 1 and Rubber in Class 17, you should pay two separate fees.
It is necessary to choose the correct class at the time of registering a trademark, if you register a trademark in the wrong class, you must start the registration process from the beginning.
List of All Goods Covered Under TM Class 16
- Paper, cardboards and goods made from these materials, printing blocks, printers type, plastic material for packaging (not included in other classes), instructional and teaching material (except apparatus), typewriters and office requisites (except furniture), paint brushes, artists material, adhesives and office requisites (except furniture), stationery, photographs, booking materials, printed matter, not included in other classes, absorbent sheets of paper or plastic for foodstuff packaging, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, bags [envelopes, pouches] of paper or plastics, for packaging, bibs of paper, bottle envelopes of cardboard or paper, bottle wrappers of cardboard or paper, boxes of cardboard or paper, carbon paper, coasters of paper, conical paper bags, copying paper [stationery], cream containers of paper, drawer liners of paper, perfumed or not, electrocardiograph paper, face towels of paper, filter paper, filtering materials [paper], flags of paper, flower-pot covers of paper / covers of paper for flower pots, folders for papers / jackets for papers, garbage bags of paper or of plastics, handkerchiefs of paper, humidity control sheets of paper or plastic for foodstuff packaging, newspapers, packing [cushioning, stuffing] materials of paper or cardboard, paper, paper for recording machines, paper sheets [stationery], paper clasps, luminous paper, paper tapes and cards for the recordal of computer programmes, paper for radiograms, paper ribbons, paper shredders for office use, paper knives [cutters][office requisites]/ paper cutters [office requisites]/ paper knives [office requisites], paper coffee filters, paper bows, paper-clips, paperweights, parchment paper, placards of paper or cardboard, place mats of paper, shields [paper seals], signboards of paper or cardboard, silver paper, stuffing of paper or cardboard, table linen of paper, table napkins of paper, tablecloths of paper, tablemats of paper, tissues of paper for removing make-up, toilet paper / hygienic paper, towels of paper, tracing paper, waxed paper, wood pulp paper, wrapping paper / packing paper, writing paper, xuan paper for chinese painting and calligraphy, cardboard, cardboard tubes, hat boxes of cardboard.
- Works of art and figurines of paper and cardboard, figurines (statuettes) of papier-mache, etchings, engravings, chromolithographs (chromos)/chromos, architects model, aquarelles/watercolors (paintings)/watercolors (paintings), and architects models, address stamps, address plates for addressing machines, addressing machines, adhesive tape dispensers [office requisites], adhesive tapes for stationery or household purposes, adhesive bands for stationery or household purposes, adhesives [glues]for stationery or household purposes, albums / scrapbooks, almanacs, announcement cards [stationery], aquarelles / watercolors [paintings]/ watercolours [paintings], architects’ models, arithmetical tables / calculating tables, artists’ watercolor [watercolour]saucers / artists’ watercolor saucers / artists’ watercolour saucers / watercolor [watercolour]saucers for artists, atlases, bags for microwave cooking, balls for ball-point pens, binding strips [bookbinding], biological samples for use in microscopy [teaching materials], blackboards, blotters, blueprints / plans, bookbinding material, bookbinding apparatus and machines [office equipment], bookbindings, bookends, booklets, bookmarkers, books, cabinets for stationery [office requisites], calendars, canvas for painting, cards* / charts, cases for stamps [seals], catalogues, chalk for lithography, chalk holders, charcoal pencils, chart pointers, non-electronic, chromolithographs [chromos]/ chromos, cigar bands, clipboards, clips for offices / staples for offices, cloth for bookbinding / bookbinding cloth, comic books, compasses for drawing, composing frames [printing], composing sticks, cords for bookbinding / bookbinding cords, correcting fluids [office requisites], correcting ink [heliography], correcting tapes [office requisites], covers [stationery]/ wrappers [stationery], credit card imprinters, non-electric, desk mats, diagrams, document files [stationery], document laminators for office use, document holders [stationery], drawing pads, drawing pins / thumbtacks.
- Multi-class Trademark Application
- Trademark Class 17: Rubber Products
- Trademark Classes
- Trademark Class 2: Paints and Varnishes
- Trademark Class 1: Chemical Products
- Trademark Class 24: Textiles
- Trademark Class 22: Ropes,Sacks & Bags
- Trademark Class 7: Machines & Tools
- Trademark Class 21: Household Utensils
- Trademark Class 19: Building Materials