Address Proof, ID Proof along with an image of the Brand name are needed to Register a Trademark in India. Additionally, a Board Resolution and Partnership Deed maybe required if registering as a Company
To register a Trademark in India, the following documents are needed
Power of Attorney
The following 2 Documents are acceptable as Address Proof
2. Driving License
3. Utility bill
In the case of the Company, the address proof of the Company is required.
The applicant has to file a trademark with the government of India (GOI) with Form TM-A along with which following documents are to be filed.
The trademark applicant needs to provide an authorisation document (POA) to the trademark professional to file a trademark application on their behalf. For Indian applicants, power of attorney is to be executed in 100 Rs. Stamp paper.
This can be submitted later with no additional cost.
Trademark or Logo Copy
Soft copy of the trademark is to be submitted in a .jpeg format which is to be attached with form TM-A.
Documents required when the mark is not in the official language:
If the trademark contains symbol or words which are not in English/Hindi, then you need to provide:
- A Translation in English
- A Transliteration of a Word-mark in Roman Script
In a case, if the Trademark is in English, but the logo is in Hindi, you need to register both English and Hindi versions of the trademarks separately.
However, if a Trademark and the logo, both are in English, Hindi translation is not required.
Trademark registration when done under the name of any artificial legal entity like a company, you need to submit board resolution as well.
In case of a company, apart from the above documents, you need to furnish the following details:
An applicant needs to provide name, address and nationality. If the applicant is a partnership firm, the names of all partners are required (also details of the minor partners, if any).
If the applicant is a company, the state/country of Incorporation is required.
In case of a Company, Board Resolution, a partnership deed for an LLP and MSME Certificate for a small company needs to be furnished along with the necessary details of incorporation.
An MSME Certificate provides a discount on the Government fees while filing a Trademark. For more information click here.
Documents Required for Foreigners & NRIs
A foreign applicant and NRI's need to submit the following documents with the trademark application.
- Indian Address proof
- Authorisation Document (POA)
- Board resolution in case of a company.
- What are the Documents Required for Patent Registration?
- How to Change DIN (Director Identification Number) Details
- What are The Documents Required for MSME Registration?
- What is a Digital Signature Certificate?
- Documents Required for GST Registration
- Trademark Registration according to Business Type
- Foreign(NRI) Director in a Private Limited Company
- Import Export License: Documents, Process and Govt. Schemes
- MSME in India: Govt Benefits, Process and Documents Required
- Commencement of Business Certificate